Call the 24 hour Oil Spill Helpline any time on
0131 538 8456
Have you just found an oil leak outside or noticed a smell of oil inside your home?
If there is a risk of fire contact the emergency services
If you’re looking for advice we are here to help. If you have a problem no matter what time of the day, we are awake!
What you can do yourself:
- Turn off the tap/valves on your the oil tank to stop the flow.
- If your tank is cracked try to collect as much oil in buckets/ containers.
- Wear gloves, your kitchen sink marigolds will do for now. Try to avoid the oil touching your skin, wash thoroughly if contact with your skin is made.
- Cracks can potentially be stopped temporarily by rubbing a bar of soap over the damage, or placing blutack/mastic over it. Try literally anything you can think of.
- If the leak is in your the oil feedline, tightly wrap it with duct tape/ selotape. This may or may not stop the leak, but it will reduce the flow.
- Household products like sand, sawdust, and cat litter are good for absorbing oil and reducing the spread. Cat litter benefits from absorbing some of the odours too.
- Have you a friend or neighbour who can provide help and assistance?
Be aware of:
- If the smell of oil is indoors ventilate the area as much as possible, open doors and windows.
- If it’s a strong smell don’t spend too much time in the immediate vicinity, especially if you’re feeling dizzy or starting with a headache.
- Don’t just wash the oil down a nearby drain; this will greatly increase the environmental damage and potential clean-up cost to yourself or insurance company.
- Don’t smoke near or around the spill.
Soilutions’ Emergency Spill Response service is tried and tested, we service many spills across the UK each year, and we’re retained by many sites to provide urgent assistance.
We offer a 2 tier response-
Advice on the phone – we make sure a response is necessary, and help those who are impacted
Mobilisation to site as soon as possible – get the experts on the scene, assess the potential of health risks, advise on what to do next and undertake an initial clean-up
Our aim is to limit the spill and limit the impact asap, a quick chat and some immediate advice can result in a big reduction in the size of the spill. We always keep safety first so we won’t ask you to do anything dangerous.
Feel free to phone us on 0131 538 8456, or e-mail us if that’s easier.
Everything you wanted to know about oil spills but were afraid to ask
This free eBook will help you understand the whats, the whys and the hows of oil spill preparedness and response in the simplest terms. Download it now for free!Free Download!